July 21, 2013

Sanctifying Sunday

Happy Sunday y'all!
This is my Sunday Best, picture via Gracie.

And here is Matt ready to rumble in with his Sunday thoughts below. 
Hope you enjoy.


Photo again courtesy of Grace.

Gospel
LK 10:38-42
----------------------------
Jesus entered a village
where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. 
She had a sister named Mary
who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.
Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said,
"Lord, do you not care
that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?
Tell her to help me."
The Lord said to her in reply, 
"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing. 
Mary has chosen the better part
and it will not be taken from her."


FASCINATING.  This Gospel story is one of my all time favorites. Its meritorious worth, simply from a story telling stand point, is beyond telling.  


In this Gospel there is no one thing to focus on.  There are tons of different details present. So which one should we/I focus on.... well lets talk about being like Mary and about the way in which she sat and listened to Jesus.

Classically, there have been various interpretations proposed on this Gospel.  

One is that it is the description of the difference between the active and contemplative life, the active life being those in the world and the contemplative life like the sisters, nuns, monks, brothers, priests who pray all day long.   

Another classical explanation is the UNUM NECESITUM. Jesus tells Martha in a gentle/ rebuke reminder that worry and anxiety are worthless.  They produce nothing.  And, Jesus is the better part and is much more important than worry and anxiety.

Now, I've always had a soft heart for Martha.  She's trying so hard to clean and to fix the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords some fine baba ganoush.  I'm always thinking, come on Jesus give her a break.

Then I love the boldness and freedom of Mary.  She sits at the feet of Jesus. This would have been a place reserved for a disciple- A MALE disciple.  Yet, she sees the one thing necessary and sits down in front of it, or I should I say HIM.  These thoughts rocket my mind to think of my girls, Hope and Grace. I think of them being scholars, recognizing something or someone and sitting at its feet and absorbing wisdom and knowledge.... women couldn't do that back then in Jesus' time.  He got the the woman's lib movement started!

Lastly, here's my interpretation.  I believe I've never heard this one.  Where's Lazarus?  Remember?  He's their brother.  Seriously, where is he?  I'm speculating, but he must be distracted- he's not there.  If Jesus where at my house, I would know about it PERIOD.

So, this Gospel story is a very human story.  We can chose to sit or to do too much.  We can struggle with figuring out what the "one thing is that is necessary..." But, we shouldn't be like Lazarus- missing.  Don't miss out.  
I love how Mary is listening so intently in this picture. 

1 comment :

  1. Matt, thanks for posting this. I'm sorry I'm just getting around to reading some of these. you brought up some good points and questions. It's so easy to be a Martha when you're a mom or a girl in general... and I like you picturing the girls at Jesus' feet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I la la love to hear from you!